Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pretty. Odd.



I'm a huge fan of The Beatles, first off. I love everything from their beginnings to Let It Be. I've got shirts, cds, posters, etc. I love em! Unfortunately, they broke up after recording Abbey Road, and there's definitely some songs that we've yet to hear from those sessions. Well, luckily, Panic! At The Disco's sophomore effort brings that to us.

I've known Panic! about as long as I've known Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, and the like; a good five or six years. I've only recently bothered REALLY listening to Panic! however, as before I'd only heard a few songs here and there. I picked up their latest album Vices & Virtues, and this one here, Pretty. Odd. So with that being said, let's jump right into this one.

Well to start with, this is no ordinary record. The title Pretty. Odd. is as captivating a title as can be, bringing the question "Why the punctuation?". Well, I quite like it. The cd itself is pretty, and odd, and the title captures that perfectly. The album starts out with a nice intro leading right into the single Nine in The Afternoon. This one is a bit more pop-fodder but nice nonetheless. From that moment on, it's an amalgamation of practically all The Beatles had to offer. Yes, I am serious. Each song on this cd is just bursting at the seams with the feel of John and Paul's writing, instrumentation, all of it. You can't help but think that some of these tracks were actual writing by the Beatles themselves, and we're just hearing them through Panic! at The Disco. I'm not sure how these guys did it, but they perfectly captured the Abbey Road sound, right down to the crunchy guitar sound found in most Beatles songs in the right channel. They've got a nice 70s' production sound to this record, and it was even mixed and partially done in Abbey Road studios, where the orchestration was recorded. All of these things make for a nice, calm, fun album complete with Fab 4 harmony sounding choruses, clever guitar work, and amazing vocals. If you like The Beatles, I really recommend you check this one out. **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment