Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Endgame



Finding a good metal record is no easy task. Especially in the modern age, what with the genre being plagued by death metal, deathcore, hardcore metal, etc. It wasn't like that in the eighties. Back in those days, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, and Anthrax ruled the metal scene. And now, twenty-some odd years later, Megadeth STILL kills it.

I first heard this record a few months back, but easily dismissed it. I was heavily into some other stuff at the time, and yet now I can't stay away from it. Since 83' Megadeth has been the go-to band for off-the-wall, in your face thrash metal, and they still got it. The record opens with the duo Dialectic Chaos + This Day We Fight! and it's very reminiscent of So Far, So Good, So What? from their early days. The track opens with some standard classic record-opening style, but then the band drops quite a sonic bombshell on your ears. Dave and Chris unleash a furious fret assault, dueling out crazy-fast notes and licks, all while some badass rhythm section forms the backing basis. This IS metal, and it's never been better. The track segues into TDWF! and the badassery only continues from there. Dave's sharp vocal delivery and the crisp, relentless guitars back him perfectly. It feels like the eighties all over again, when Metallica was at their prime busting out Fight Fire With Fire and Battery. But that's not only it, as the rest of the record delivers numerous songs for any metal head to love. Sure, there's an acoustic ballad.. but you know what comes next: the shred. And it delivers. I really enjoy Dave's "..." songs because they're two-parters. They contain numerous changes in tempo and style, and that's what I love in Megadeth: these guys got their chops, and know just how to show it off the right way. The solos contain actual melody, Shawn Drover on drums blows my mind with every double-bass hit, and I'm amazed. I enjoy my fair share of metal, but I have to say that Megadeth's drummer and Angelo Parente of Motionless in White are probably some of the best drummers I've ever heard. In all, Endgame delivers, and shows that Megadeth is back, and ready to melt your face! **** out of **** (borrowing my good friend Ryan's star system :) Hope you don't mind buddy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment