Thursday, June 17, 2010

These, Are My Twisted Words

A while back, UK band Radiohead released their latest song, These Are My Twisted Words. Today, June 17th, 2010, I am now listening to it. Not since first hearing SHA from OK Computer, have I heard a more dreamy, haunting song from these guys. With only three sets of lyrics, 

"these are my twisted words
when i feel you still walking
i know i should not look down
but i'm so sick of just talking

when are you coming back
i just can't handle it
when are you coming back
i just can't handle it

when are you coming back
i just can't stand it
i just can't handle it"

and 5:32 backing track of layered, effect-loaded guitar and bass, this may in fact be a new favourite of mine from Radiohead. With this out of the way, I'd like to now move on to the long put-off review of a Radiohead album. And today's album will be none other than the band's 1995 The Bends.

In 1994, after the huge success of Radiohead's single, Creep, from the debut album Pablo Honey, Radiohead began work on a new album, this time taking a less grungier approach and using more acoustic elements all over. Despite being the most depressing album I've ever heard, aside from Pink Floyd's The Wall, the multi-layered and desperate sound of The Bends still warms my heart, even after hearing it countless times over. Throughout the album, topics such as, well, the bends (title track), feeling isolated and small (Street Spirit) and wishing you could take everything (Bullet Proof...I Wish I Was) are voiced by Yorke's falsetto, melancholic words. All this combined with Jonny Greenwood's effect-heavy guitar work makes for a near perfect album.

The Bends stands out noticeably from the rest of the Radiohead discography, and for good reason. Take OK Computer, and The Bends, and play one after the other. Now take Kid A or In Rainbows and play them after The Bends. Like I said before, The Bends is depressing, acoustic at times, and sometimes just punches you in the face with crunching, distorted riffs (My Iron Lung, The Bends). Songs like High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, and Nice Dream showcase just how.....amazing, and beautiful Radiohead can be when they aren't blaring distorted and spacey riffs or a call to a frenzy (The National Anthem from Kid A).

Critically, and sales-wise, The Bends was a hit. A rather big one. Receiving countless five-star and "favourable" reviews, making a few best-of lists, taking 110 out of 500 best albums ever, and second to the The Beatles in Best 1000 Albums Ever, Radiohead was launched into the mainstream with this album. It has since achieved Triple-Platinum status in the US and EU.

So what do I have to say?
I love this album to death. I love the riffs, the drumming, the bass lines, the lyrics, everything. Anytime I'm asked what my favourite Radiohead album is, my answer is The Bends. I'd give it 5/5 stars, and recommend it to anyone. <3

P.S. Here is the link to These Are My Twisted Words if anyone would like it; Radiohead released it for free :D http://www.waste.uk.com/Store/waste-radiohead-twisted+words.html

No comments:

Post a Comment